Need a new dressing to get you excited about salads and en route to that ever-elusive summer bod? Oh, excuse me, I was talking to myself.
The weather is quite literally all over the map. Here in DC it is cold, rainy and generally miserable for two days straight and then the sun comes out and it feels as though it has never left. New Hampshire got another 10-inch dumping of snow over the weekend, and San Diego…oh yeah, sunny with temps in the 70s. Okay, maybe not crazy weather all over the map, but April is here and therefore, a new salad dressing is in order.
This Carrot Ginger Dressing from Cookie and Kate is reminiscent of the dressing you’ve enjoyed at each and every Japanese restaurant you’ve ever visited. This version of the dressing is straight and to the point. It keeps in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks (although it won’t have to) and can be made in your blender in under 5 minutes. The color alone will brighten your day. As a matter of fact, this dressing is so mood lifting that you just may find yourself drizzling it over your rice, vegetables, or fish. And the good news is that it’s like pouring a vegetable on top of your bowl, so pour away! Enjoy!
- ⅓ c extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ c rice wine vinegar
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped (about ⅔ cup)
- 2 Tbls peeled and roughly chopped fresh ginger
- 2 Tbls lime juice
- 1 1/2 Tbls honey
- 1½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- ¼ tsp salt, more to taste
- In a blender, combine all of the salad dressing ingredients as listed.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Taste, and add additional salt if the dressing doesn't make your eyes light up. If it's too sour (it should have some zing to it), blend in a bit more honey.
- If your dressing is a bit too thick (which may be the case if you aren't using a Vitamix) add a little water to make the dressing smooth and pourable.
- Serve over greens.*
- Dressing keeps well in the refrigerator, covered, for 1 to 2 weeks.
- *Delicious over a simple salad of romaine or butter lettuce, thinly sliced red onion, cucumber and tomato. Also perfect over cooked rice and anything you'd like on top of it!