When I stumble across a recipe three times in as many weeks, it occurs to me to add the ingredients to my shopping list and put the dish on my “to do’s.”
This Egg Roll Bowl by Skinnytaste Fast and Slow: Knockout Quick-Fix and Slow Cooker Recipes by Gina Homolka with Heather K. Jones, immediately appealed to my proclivity to eat every meal from a bowl. The vegetable-heavy nature of the dish (it’s designed to replicate the inside of an egg roll) worked with the general healthy eating theme of January. And, the inclusion of ground meat (pork, in this case) meant that the likelihood of my kids giving it a thumbs up was high.
So here it is, the Egg Roll Bowl which as expected, was a hit all around. The dish is mildly seasoned (admittedly, I doubled the soy sauce and added rice wine vinegar which is reflected in the recipe below) so you may choose to pass the Sriracha or Chili Garlic Sauce for those looking for a little kick. But I think that this dish welcomes that sort of doctoring. A dab of duck sauce, why not? And if your family craves a little rice with their veggies, bury some at the bottom of the bowl. As with any stir-fry, I recommend that you prep all of your ingredients before turning on your burner. Once you start cooking, you can expect to be finished in about 15 minutes. Leftovers reheat extraordinarily well, if you are lucky enough to have them. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground pork (may substitute ground chicken or even soy crumbles)
- 6 Tbls low-sodium soy sauce (divided)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger root
- 6 c packed, thinly sliced napa or green cabbage (about 1/2 head)
- 4 c thinly sliced bok choy (1/2 a large head or 4 baby)
- 1 c shredded carrots (I used pre-shredded for ease)
- 5 oz stemmed, sliced shiitake mushrooms (I used pre-sliced for ease)
- 1 Tbls mirin or dry sherry
- 2 Tbls rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 scallions, sliced on the diagonal for garnish
- Heat a wok or large sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add the pork and half the soy sauce; stir-fry for about 5 minutes, breaking up the meat.
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger; stir-fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, bok choy, carrots and mushrooms, then the mirin or sherry, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and remaining soy sauce; stir-fry for 5 minutes or until the cabbage and bok choy have wilted a bit but still retain some texture.
- Divide among wide, shallow bowls. Sprinkle each portion with scallion slices.
- Serve with Sriracha, chili garlic sauce or another hot sauce of your choice.