If you haven’t already settled on what you are cooking for the Super Bowl of meals, the time is now. Whether you’re hosting Thanksgiving or contributing a dish or two or three, you want to write your shopping list today and even head to the store if you can find the time. The crowds in the produce aisles will only worsen as the week goes on. Seize the day!
This recipe is for a simple, elegant onion dip that is made from ingredients that you may already have on your list. It can be whisked together in all of five minutes and is perfect served with a bag of chips in a crystal bowl. To keep the pre-game on the lighter side, you can serve the dip alongside a fabulous crudite platter. In most cases I would argue that nothing beats good ole Lipton Onion Soup Mix Dip but for a holiday such as this, it’s nice to step it up a notch. So treat your nearest and dearest to this Elegant Onion Dip adapted from the Sour Cream-Onion Dip from Tasting Table.
- 1 c creme fraiche
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 tsp finely grated shallot (using a microplane)
- 1 scallion, white and light green parts only, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 tsp finely chopped dill fronds
- 3/4 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp kocher salt
- 1 1/4 tsp white vinegar
- potato chips and/or cut vegetables for serving
- In the bowl of a stand-up mixer, combine all of the ingredients.
- With the whisk attachment, whisk the mixture on high speed for two minutes or until the dip thickens and becomes fluffy.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready, bringing close to room temperature before serving.
- Serve along side your favorite potato chips (ridged salt and pepper chips work well) and/or assorted raw vegetables.